Tag Archives: costumes

Another little thing.

It seems to be the season, or perhaps I’ve just reached a certain age. Anyway, I had to make another baby thing. For those of you keeping track, that brings my total of baby clothes ever made up to three items, two of them in the last two weeks.

I had a baby shower to go to. It was Epona’s. Some of you may have picked up on the fact that she’s, well, a bit of a cowgirl (the bit where she wore cowboy boots with her wedding dress might’ve given it away). I try not to hold it against her. So, of course, I had to make something that no one else would possibly give her.

I made baby chaps.

20131103-190017.jpg

Yup. I went there.

After I had thought of the idea, I went to the googles and found this tutorial, which was enough to get me started, anyway.

baby chaps diagram

baby chaps diagram

I started with a baby pants pattern, since I didn’t have a pair of baby pants handy. It got me in the right scale ballpark, anyway (since obviously I no longer have any idea what size babies are, see my last post for evidence.) I wanted an outseam so I could add fringe to it; in hindsight I could’ve made the inseam on the fold and saved myself, oh, six inches or so of sewing. Anyway.

I chose for my fabric this browns stretch velour a friend of my mother’s gave me because she didn’t know what to do with it. Obviously I didn’t know either, as I’ve been sitting on it for a couple of years now, but it’s soft and cozy and the colour was reasonable for leather, so I think it may have found its true calling, presuming I need to make about fifty pairs of baby chaps. I made each leg lined, so they’re fuzzy on the inside, too. I used my new walking foot from Sew Classic, and while I didn’t do comparison samples without, it did a very nice job of feeding all the layers together, straining only little when I had four layers stacked to sew the outseams.  I stitched the outseams so that the extra-wide seam allowance was on the outside, and then went to town snipping little fringes. They’re super cute now, although I won’t vouch for how they’ll hold up in the wash. Then I added the band at the top, with elastic (hopefully about the right size for a baby waist, I have no frickin’ clue at this point.), and made a belt buckle out of some silver lining left over from this vest. For the belt-buckle, I followed Sew A Straight Line’s tutorial pretty much exactly.

20131103-190035.jpg

Baby big-ass belt buckle.

Then I sewed it on backwards. That is supposed to be a Z, not an angular S. And my latent dyslexia kicked in, so I didn’t even realize it until looking at photos after. Just shoot me now.

20131103-190051.jpg

With fringe.

I actually thought the fringe turned out really well; I was not at all sure it would, and they looked pretty lame before I snipped it, but I think it worked great, maybe because there were four layers of fabric to snip.

Anyway, I think they went over well. There were plenty of onesies and blankies and even a full-blown diaper cake, but there was definitely only one pair of baby chaps.

Although, I have a sinking feeling I should probably get started on the next size up…

9 Comments

Filed under Sewing

The Littlest Coin Bra

20121207-164629.jpg
Ok, technically this bra, worn by Tyo around her first birthday, was smaller. (Also, those red marks on her face are lipstick kisses. Tell me you could resist kissing that cuteness. Also, a rare pic of me with long-ish hair.)

But, this one’s still pretty darn small.

20121207-164257.jpg

Syo needed a coin bra for her ATS costume. You really need a coin bra for tribal, to the point where you almost can’t wear one without looking “Tribal” any more.

Now, for a “grown up” coin bra, you typically use a storebought bra and replace the straps. Since that really wasn’t going to work in this case, I decided to wing it. After consultation with Syo, we settled on some black flannel (her input: soft and comfy. My input: not stretchy. Stretch and coins do not play well together.)

20121207-164242.jpg

I copied the basic shape/scale from a bikini top she has, including a few accomodations. The triangles “slant” a bit towards the centre (to avoid gaping with the halter-ties). I added the world’s teensiest darts. And I interfaced one layer of fleece, and fusetaped the edges of the other, so none of that pesky diagonal stretching. Oh, I do love interfacing. It used to scare the bejeezus out of me, now I can’t live without it.

20121207-164228.jpg

Syo and Tyo added the decorations themselves, mostly leftovers from my own coin-bra making years ago. Although it’s really still rather bare, it was what we could come up with in a limited time-frame. I expect continuing improvements to be made. (Whenever I find the materials. I think they’re at my mom’s.)

20121207-170058.jpg

I have one more “tribal costume” installment, on the little top she’s wearing under the coin bra in the top picture, but I am hoping some photos of the performance will surface for me to share—it looks pretty cool all together, if I do say so myself. /sigh. Also, there were swords involved.

In other project news, I’ve got batting and fabric for my Uncle’s vest, but still have to hunt down a coordinating lining fabric for the pockets, back, etc. Preferably one that won’t make me want to stab myself in the eye while sewing it. My local Fabricland doesn’t have any Kasha, my favourite lining brand, in the right colour. And I am hoping to get some further jeans cut out, sooner rather than later.

4 Comments

Filed under Sewing