Tag Archives: Butterick B5761

Sundresses

I wanted some more variations on the button-up sundress, so for my May project at work I went for Butterick B5761, a Connie Crawford pattern that doesn’t look like much on the envelope, but I liked the lines. 

This is my first Connie Crawford and I was quite happy with the fit; it took much less fussing and reshaping of the bust than McCall’s M7640 that I made last summer. On the other hand, on my first version (the white) I didn’t shorten the bodice (only the straps) and had to let out the hips, at least partially because the hip was sitting lower than I need it to. My hips aren’t super wide but they jut abruptly right below my waist. It was also a bit smug throughout.  

These two versions are really a study in how different fabric affects fit. The first version I made, in the white, is a poly-cotton seersucker with very little give, and the whole thing was borderline too tight. The second version, in a soft, drapy rayon, actually came out a little too large and I need to get in there and take in the back seams. 

There’s also a pattern piece not shown anywhere on the envelope—the shaped shoulder strap I used on the white version. I wish I’d thought to trim it with lace like I did the bodice, though I was using up lace scraps for that and wouldn’t’ve had enough. I’m not sure I LOVE it, but it was interesting to try. A pain to turn and press nicely, though. 

 When I got it done the whole thing was still a little plain but I got the idea to add the band of lace bead with a bit of vintage velvet ribbon and I love that detail. I do wish it was a little lower cut in the front, especially in the white version, but if you don’t love cleavage it’s a good option and the back has a really nicely scooped shape. 

The pattern is designed to be lined, which I did for the white version, but it also has some “interfacing” pattern pieces that work just fine if you want a facing, as I did for the tie-dye rayon. 

It’s quite slim through the hips (and much less of a fabric hog as a result), but I like my skirts a little fuller so for the rayon version I did increase the flare. 

And I added the button front on the rayon version, because I’m cool like that. 😉

At its bones, though, it’s a pretty good pattern. Even if these aren’t the best pics I’ve ever snapped. (No makeup, hair flat, taken in about three minutes as we were rushing out the door)

It’s Canada Day this weekend, and our 150th year as a nation, which is a big deal although it kinda totally neglects the thousands of years of people who lived here before that; I am trying to be conscious of the validity of those dual narratives, and to acknowledge, if only to myself, the checkered nature of that 150-year history, particularly with regard to the treatment of the First Nations people. I have a new Canada Day dress, too, and if I manage to get pics this weekend I’ll try and get a post up on that, but I don’t dare make promises since we’re moving later this month (and finally, after almost 20 years of renting, becoming home owners!!!) and life is going to be insane. So I’ll see you on the flip side!

6 Comments

Filed under Sewing