Once I had the little dresses made, it become imperative that I make up some little ruffly diaper covers. While the dress was easy enough to draft without a pattern, I figured the diaper covers would benefit from starting with one, for speed if nothing else.
I don’t have a huge selection of baby sewing patterns—they really weren’t on my radar during my “collecting” phase since I was fully expecting the next babies in my life to be grandchildren. But Simplicity 8761, from 1970, had an excellent, ruffly candidate, and happens to be in the six month size range I’m looking for at the moment. And it was a diaper-style cut rather than a bloomer-style cut, which is what I wanted.
While I used the pattern piece for view 3, I went off road for pretty much everything else. The pattern called for gathered lace (to be hand-stitched down???)… I opted for bias tape, gathered with the ruffler foot on my Featherweight. The pattern called for a double layer of fabric to make finishing the curved leg edges; I trimmed away excess seam allowance and used more bias tape to make the elastic casings around the legs. Most of all, the pattern called for a diaper style opening, with snaps along the front hip seams. I liked the position of the seams but didn’t see the point in snaps, so I trimmed that section down and just made French seams.
Predictably, they’re cut for covering cloth diapers, so they’re pretty roomy on my disposable-clad girls; the next pair (because how could there not be more?) I will maybe lower the rise by about an inch.
I love the curved triple line of trim, though of course I couldn’t find my transfer paper to make it easier to mark the lines. I wound up using two strips of raw-edged bias cut 2.5cm wide, and the bottom strip cut 3cm wide. I like the subtle difference, though it was mostly because I was testing which width I wanted to use.
Also I did NOT hand-stitch the trim down as per the original pattern instruction.
The pattern called for only 12” of elastic at the waist, which works fine for River but confused me because it seemed really little (especially considering they suggest 10” at each leg). Then I realized the elastic in the original pattern only goes across the back portion of the diaper, not all the way around the waist. Oops. Fortunately scrawny little River fits it fine, and I made the elastic in the second one a little looser for Tris.
The diaper covers definitely took longer to sew than the little dresses, but I kinda think they’re even cuter. Though matching headbands may be required?
13 responses to “Butt ruffles galore!”
you have 2 beautiful babies x
Two sweet, too sweet.
i was a butt ruffle baby, and all the photos of said butt ruffles have been placed in a vault for posterity. As it were.
I am pretty sure it didn’t ruin me. Pretty sure.
I’m pretty sure I had butt ruffle panties and tights. And I treasured them.
The ruffled diaper covers and pillowcase-style dresses are adorable–particularly on your equally adorable models! 🙂 Methinks the dresses will grow with them over the next year or so, becoming tops with shorts, pants and leggings. Really depends on how quickly they grow.
Congrats to Mom for finding time and ways to be creative in an incredibly full and busy life! 🙂
I hope they will get to wear them a lot! Our summer is brief. If they were still wearable for tops next year that would be amazing…
A couple of cuties! Must be fun sewing for them!
Thank you! It is, now that I’ve wrapped my head around doing stuff twice. 😂
You’ve got your hands full! 🙂
Nawwwwww they’re soooo cute and the butt ruffles aren’t bad either! Nice job on both Mummy. X