Quick and simple

Bambi and Madeleine

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions on where to go next :). All the ideas were good. Since I’m about to be off to a conference for most of next week, I figured quick and simple was the way to go for now—I’ll tackle some new skillz and stuff when I get back.

So today I printed out and pieced together the Colette free pattern Madeleine bloomers, of which there are many cute versions inhabiting the internet (The Sew Convert’s being particularly recent and cute). I was hoping to make them out of the last of the black cotton, to go with my Bambi nightie—they seem like they’d make a nice bottom for that piece. However, there was even less fabric left than I had thought—not even enough for the teensiest pair of bloomers ever. So I had to search around a bit. I haven’t got the world’s largest stash, and not much of it is lightweight fabrics for summery sleepwear. Well, there is the chiffon, but I have about as much desire to sleep in that as I do to sew it. :P

But, there was the remains of the crinkle cotton voile. The four metres of this fabric I bought back in July (?) have already successfully produced my husband’s shirt and the 70s sundress, but there was just enough left to squeeze out another Bambi and a Madeleine. Although I’m a little worried my straps may not end up long enough. Seriously, there isn’t a piece left as big as a washcloth :). Anyway, I shan’t have time to stitch them tonight, but maybe tomorrow. I widened the back of the Bambi by a couple of inches, we shall see if that makes it a little easier to wriggle into, or if it just ends up being floppy.

Bookemon & Ebichu label on the yellow sundress

And, I spent a little more time playing with labels. The kids were distinctly unimpressed by my labels—they wanted ones that had their names on. I thought about it, and eventually came up with these. I went through and picked every cute and cool-looking font on the computer (I have a lot of fonts), in a variety of colours. They say “Bookemon & Ebichu”, which are (two of) my husband’s nicknames for the girls. We’re not overly into Pokemon, so I’m not sure why, but there they are. I’ve already attached two, and need to stitch on some more.

Speaking of which, I guess I could finish putting labels

Bookemon & Ebichu label on the Little A-Line

into the other stuff I’ve made. I only have my labels on two or three things so far :)

And, just for fun, here’s the whole page:

Aren't they cute?

About these ads

14 Comments

Filed under Sewing

14 responses to “Quick and simple

  1. yay fonts! I like all the fun variety!

    dan and i totally want to put our labels on everything now!

  2. Oooh, some of those fonts are truly adorable!! Thanks for the great idea!
    re the Sookie Stackhouse books; the books came first. Tara isn’t in the first book, surprising; but Lafayette, one of my faves, is.

  3. The labels are so cute! But don’t the girls realize that the ones with YOUR clothing label will be worth $millions$ one day. ;)

  4. I would definitely be interested how the widening of the bambi back turned. Mine droped down a few places on the to-do-list, due to coming fall and winter. Those labels all look nice, but I was wondering how you played around with the labels. Are you doing them yourself?

    • Yeah, if you google “DIY clothing labels” I’m sure you’ll find tons of tutorials. I print mine onto sheets of T-shirt transfer paper, cut them up, and iron them on to ribbon or twill-tape, then sew in the twill tape. They probably won’t hold up super-well over time, but then neither do the store bought ones :).

      We’ll see how the widening goes… the fabric is soft and crinkly so I’m hoping there won’t be a parachute pouf :)

  5. lol, i printed the madeline bloomers pattern a week or so ago and it’s still sitting in a pile on my desk….i really dislike cutting and taping those pesky things! i really love the labels and have complete label envy now. did you see this post? i think i’m going that route….but i don’t have kids who might want different labels depending on their mood….i love how you’ve come up with a way to customize labels as much or as little as necessary. have fun at the conference!

    • Oh, that’s a good idea—I hadn’t hit on that one! I am just too lazy/cheap/disorganized to actually order something ;). Plus, I do like that I can make as many different ones as I want this way… I haven’t quite hit on my “Perfect design” yet. :)

  6. Ali

    Fun labels! And I look forward to seeing your bloomers. I’ve made that pattern four times, and it’s not hard, but all that pulling elastic/ribbon through casings tries at my patience. But they’re darling :)

    I’ve finally cut out my Lady Grey pattern (I’m way behind, I know), but I took a tip from you and cut a straight 2 (even though I’m a 6 at the hip) — I was too lazy to grade it and your experience gave me the perfect excuse not to. Though I was dreading all the work it would take, I’m getting excited about the coat :)

    • The bottom of those patterns is so full, I really think it won’t matter much… the “finished garment” measurement for the hem is actually half the hem, so there’s plenty of room, the only question is whether it’ll drape the way you want, but I think it should be fine.

      I’m so behind on this one, and likely to get even more behind. /sigh. As long as it’s ready by spring, I guess :)

  7. Love the labels you’ve made for your kids clothes – such a cute name!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s